Virtually, Everyone is Listening
In 2018, 44% of Americans ages 12 and older have ever listened to a podcast, according to Edison Research and Triton Digital survey data, and 26% have listened to a podcast in the past month, up from just 9% in 2008.That said, technically who listens to YOUR podcast is up to you! A strong podcasting strategy should include professional production as well as a robust marketing plan targeted to your demographic. Here is some additional data on podcast listenership:
· At 27%, slightly more men listen to podcasts than women 24%
· Podcast listeners are affluent and well educated, 16% have an annual household income of $150K or more compared to 10% of the general US population.
· Podcast listeners have strong social brand following behavior– when asked “do you follow brands on twitter and facebook” – 48% of podcast listeners said yes, as opposed to 31% of the general population
· Podcast listeners are active on social media – 94% of podcast listeners are on social media vs. 81% of the general US population.
· Weekly podcast listeners spend a mean time of 6hrs 37mins/weeklistening to podcasts.
· 42% listen to the entire episode while 44% listen to most – by and large, listeners are loyal and committed to hearing out the whole episode.
· They listen while on the go – 69% of podcast listeners listen on a mobile device or tablet